Discover your free Construction Marketing Ideas Email Newsletter

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Growing pains

I'm happy to have this problem, but I'm swamped. With two, in fact virtually three, unfilled positions here, for the last couple of weeks I've been 'filling in' on different jobs while overseeing the hiring process and doing my best to keep a forward thinking management perspective about the business (see next post).
Of course there are some advantages/efficiencies in doing everything. Yes, I can meet a client, handle the sales process, and gather the information needed to write the story, all at one efficient call. And the cross-fertilization of ideas and insights keeps me grounded and connected to the business.
But the biggest lesson today is a reminder how how much work I ask our employees to do in their day-to-day responsibilities. This is helpful because, when you get good at delegating, you also can get good at dumping -- just sending the workload, stress, and pressure downwards without allocating or allowing enough resources for the people who actually have to do the work. (Of course the converse applies; although I would never expect anyone to consistently work with the intensity I'm experiencing now, I know we can often do a lot more than we expect, if we are organized and ready for the challenges.)

No comments: