Discover your free Construction Marketing Ideas Email Newsletter

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Travelling down memory lane in Zimbabwe

Some 32 years ago, I discovered many life answers living through the transition from Rhodesia to Zimbabwe.  Now, in the Victoria Falls Hotel, I'm reliving memories from a different perspective, observing the consistencies in tradition and experience despite time and change.

The hotel, for example, is largely what it was in the early years of the 20th century.  White patrons are served by black waiters, the thundering falls in the near distance.

When I last visited Victoria Falls in January 1979, I had managed to finesse a work permit marked "journalist" so, instead of heading to view the falls and other tourist facilities here, I focused on the human condition and wartime challenges.  This visit is purely touristic -- I won't discuss politics or even think of critical journalism -- so I paid the $30US fee and visited the falls.

This is truly a magnificent wonder of the world; intense, powerful nature at its most dramatic and intense level.  I shot a video of the falls, walking for a few minutes with a 25-year-old Zimbabwean electrician, on leave from his job; himself enjoying the tourist site.  (Ironically, I was 25 years old when I last lived in Zimbabwe).

Obviously, very few blog readers will have reason to travel to central Africa to view waterfalls.  And I doubt many of you would even visualize yourself driving for three hours in a rented car (British driving side) to Bulawayo.  Hardly much to do with construction marketing.

But we are shaped by our choices, experiences and decisions when we are young, and undoubtedly my experiences in Africa have defined my life.  Accordingly, I'm celebrating the results, and remembering the amazing adventures that brought me here in the first place.

No comments: