Discover your free Construction Marketing Ideas Email Newsletter

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

SMPS and social networking (2)

Following my conversation with Liz O'Rourke about her new SMPS group on Facebook.com on Monday, I followed up with an email communication exchange today with Lisa Bowman, senior vice-president of the Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS) in Arlington VA. I had thought of following Liz O'Rourke's initiative on Facebook with my own group on linkedin.com; and intended to use the work on the new group for an article I'm writing for the SMPS Marketer, the association's magazine. But I realized that I don't "own" the SMPS trademark, list, or for that matter, have any authority to represent myself on behalf of the organization. So I asked Lisa for her observations.
Lisa Bowman didn't know about Liz O'Rourke's initiative, she wrote me in an email, adding that SMPS is looking into the entire issue of how to best manage social networking sites and options. She shared other observations which suggest the association is carefully reviewing how to best respond to the social networking trend.
Fair enough.
Tonight, I received an email through the Facebook system from Liz O'Rourke. It was a copy of a letter from Lisa Bowman.

Ms. O'Rourke Kupcha:
The Society for Marketing Professional Services has not authorized the use of its name or logo in the creation of this Facebook page. You are in violation of SMPS's licensing agreement.
Cease and desist the use of the SMPS name and logo immediately.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Lisa S. Bowman
Senior Vice President
Society for Marketing Professional Services
99 Canal Center Plaza #330
Alexandria, VA
22314800.292.7677
lisa@smps.org

No comments: