Discover your free Construction Marketing Ideas Email Newsletter

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Value is relative (2)

Sonny Lykos has posted an observation on the thread he started Value Is Relative on JLC Online.

One last thing, I emailed a friend that my reason for creating this thread was a test to obtain both the attitude and aptitude of my peers here, so one could understand that after 171 "views" only three people have made posts, is surprising to me, considering the importance of this issue.If one does not how to interact with potential customers how does s/he expect to sell to them and as importantly, with higher margins - the purpose of business. Those 3 people making comments represent less than 2% of the views, maybe 4-5 % if some of the views were from the same people. (Ed: Actually the number should be 1 per cent -- which is what I understand to be the normal comment level for any blog.) I view these forums and their threads, equivalent to college courses. Each one represents tremendous experience gleaned knowledge. And no one learns much by being a passive student just taking up seat space. Learning is about the exchange of knowledge and opinions, and yes even what some consider to be stupid questions. I've never thought of any question being stupid. In fact, I used to tell my employees that I've rather spend the time asking what they perceived to be a stupid question, than pay the price of the result of it never being asked. Think about that as and own attitude toward your own employees,, or customers for that matter.
Sonny is right in that interaction and participation increase the learning power and effectiveness. Only a small percentage of Internet forum/blog readers participate through thread contributions and comments -- even though one of the most powerful advantages of the Internet is that response and participation allow two-way communication.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, after seeing how many people actually commented, my suspicions about my peers was correct.

Another validation of one of my Mother's often made statements: "Don't break your teeth", meaning, don't waste your breath.

I'm sure there are many contractors currently doing OK, or not, yet still think they don't need to concern themselves with things as my thread's issue, which bring up an old memory.

Back in Chicago, before I got into this business, I started out as a part time salesperson, then full time, in the small appliance dept. of a 13 store retailer. They specialized in major appliances, TVs and stereos, jewelry, cameras, furniture and carpeting. After 4 years I become our store manager.

Every year we had what they called a "Closed Door Sale" specifically for previous customers. And as each store's turn arrived they were prepared with extra salesmen from other stores to handle the increased in store traffic. I was offered two additional salesmen although I insisted I'd need five.

Sure enough people started walking out because they got tired of waiting for a salesman.

One of the brothers, Morrie Polk, that owned the chain, Polk Bros. (now defunct), elbowed me while there saying: "Hey Lykos. I'll bet you never had so many sales in one day." To which I replied: "Morrie, do you see how many people are leaving with my business card in their hand? So don't tell me about what I HAVE. Let me tell you about what we're LOSING!"

Again, prepare for selling ........... or don't.