Discover your free Construction Marketing Ideas Email Newsletter

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Montreal

We're in Montreal, Quebec, for my wife's high school reunion. Just before leaving, I sent out an email to our Ontario readers, inviting comments on holdback provisions within the Ontario Construction Lien Act. (I think the equivalent concept in U.S. jurisdictions such as North Carolina is 'retainage' -- and an extensive lobby is being mounted in North Carolina to reduce the retainage duration, and amount to 5 per cent from 10 per cent.

What does this have to do with construction marketing? As publishers, our objective is to provide news and information to help the industry -- this attracts readers; then advertisers. And I used my editorially-oriented email message for a small, but subtle marketing message. This is the best way, I think, to use email for marketing -- people don't want to receive ads in their e-box -- but they'll accept a small amount of promotional marketing within the context of a much larger useful information service.

No comments: